Inhalt dieses Artikels
The U. S. News and World Report Best Global Universities Rankings or U. S. News Best Global Universities Rankings are among the international university rankings. They have been published online annually since 2014. Published by U. S. magazine U. S. News & World Report in collaboration with Clarivate Analytics.
1292 universities are preselected for the U. S. News & World Report Best Global Universities Rankings. The pre-selection is made up of the following members:
- The 250 universities that came out top in the Global Reputation Survey conducted by Clarivate Analytics (a survey of scientists).
- the 1385 universities with more than 1,500 publications in the period from 2011-2015, which is relevant for the evaluation of bibliometric data.
The final ranking list includes 1250 universities from 74 countries.
Methodology of the U. S. News Best Global Universities Rankings
3 categories with a total of 12 indicators serve to evaluate the universities.
- Reputation of research: Based on the results of the Academic Reputation Survey of the last five years
- Reputation of research worldwide (12.5%)
- Reputation of research by universities located in the region where the researcher lives (12.5%)
- Bibliometric indicators: Based on Web of Science data (from 2011-2015)
- Number of publications in scientific journals (10%)
- Number of books published (2.5%)
- Number of conference proceedings published (2.5%)
Citation frequency of individual scientific papers (10%)
- Total citation rate: Based on the indicators “number of publications in scientific journals” and “citation rate of individual scientific papers” (7.5%)
- Number of publications among the 10 percent of the most frequently cited publications in their field worldwide (12.5%)
- Publications, which are among the 10 percent of the most frequently cited publications in their field worldwide, as a percentage (10%)
- International cooperation: Based on the number of scientific papers with international co-authors at a university in relation to the number of scientific papers with international co-authors nationwide (5%)
- Share of publications with international co-authors in relation to all publications of the institution (5%)
- Scientific excellence:
- Number of publications ranked among the 1% of the most frequently cited publications in their subject area (5%)
- Percentage of all publications that account for 1% of the most frequently cited publications (5%)
On the basis of these indicators, a ranking is compiled for the best 1250 universities. The U. S. News Best Global Universities Ranking can be filtered by regions, countries and cities. This is especially useful for students who wish to spend a semester abroad or complete a bachelor’s or master’s degree abroad and have already decided on a study region or country. A fan-specific view of the ranking is also possible. The university profiles on the website of the Ranking also show which rankings the universities were able to achieve for individual indicators.
Excerpt from the current U. S. News Best Global Universities Rankings 2018
Die Top 10
- 1st place: Harvard University (USA)
- 2nd place: Massachusetts Institute of Technology (USA)
- 3rd place: Stanford University (USA)
- 4th place: University of California Berkeley (USA)
- 5th place: University of Oxford (Great Britain)
- 6th place: California Institute of Technology (USA)
- 7th place: University of Cambridge (United Kingdom)
- 8th place: Columbia University (USA)
- 9th place: Princeton University (USA)
- 10th place (bound): Johns Hopkins University (USA)
- 10th place (bound): University of Washington (USA)
- 10th place (bound): Yale University (USA)
Best Global Universities Subject Rankings
With the Best Global Universities Subject Rankings, the U. S. News Best Global Universities Rankings also include subject-specific rankings in 22 areas. The indicators are essentially the same as in the Best Global Universities Rankings. However, the indicators on the number of doctorates are not used here and not all indicators are used for all subjects. The weighting of the indicators also varies from subject to subject. Which indicators are used and how heavily they are weighted depends on which of the following three categories a subject belongs to: Exact Sciences (Hard Sciences), Soft Sciences (Soft Sciences) or Humanities (Arts and Humatities).
There are universities that have not made it into the Best Global Universities Ranking, but rather into the Best Global Universities Subject Rankings. This is due to the fact that some universities focus on certain key areas. So these subject rankings are always worth a look.
Rating of the U. S. News Best Global Universities Rankings
The U. S. News Best Global Universities Rankings focus entirely on research when evaluating universities. The quality of teaching is not taken into account. It is therefore impossible to draw conclusions about the study situation at universities on the basis of this ranking. In general, however, university rankings that include the quality of teaching should not be used as the sole basis for decision-making when choosing a higher education institution. Such rankings can only provide clues.
The many filter options offered by the U. S. News & World Report Best Global Universities Rankings are particularly positive. The many subject-specific rankings in the Best Global Universities Subject Rankings are also positive. In addition, interested parties will also be able to see the rankings on the website of the ranking, which a university was able to achieve for each of the indicators. In general, it is therefore possible to obtain very good and detailed information about the results of the U. S. News Best Global Universities Rankings.
Link to the website of the U. S. News and World Report Best Global Universities Rankings:
- Student Language Courses in the USA - 26. Juni 2018
- Online degrees – the modern way of career advancement - 18. April 2018
- Choice of Higher Education Institution for Study Abroad - 19. Januar 2018