Inhalt dieses Artikels
- Methodology of Best Business Schools Rankings
- Excerpt from the current Best Business Schools Ranking
- Subrankings of the Best Business Schools Rankings
- Other Rankings in the U. S. News and World Report Best Grade Schools Rankings
- Evaluation of the U. S. News and World Report Best Degree Schools Rankings
The U. S. News and World Report Best Grade Schools Rankings rank among the best-known university rankings in the USA. They are published annually by the magazine U. S. News and World Report. This is done online and in a print edition. The Best Degree Schools Rankings offer various subject area specific rankings of the US-American universities. They focus exclusively on the postgraduate area. For example, we present the Best Business Schools Rankings, which rank the MBA programs of the universities in the USA.
Methodology of Best Business Schools Rankings
The main ranking of the best business schools evaluates the full-time MBA programs of the business schools. To this end, 3 categories with a total of 7 indicators are used.
- Quality assessment (weighting: 0.40)
- Evaluation by professionals: Based on a survey of deans of business schools and directors of accredited Master’s programmes in business (0.25)
- Employer rating: Based on a survey of employers (0.15)
- Success in starting a career (weighting: 0.35)
- Average salary and bonuses of graduates (0.14)
- Employment rate among graduates: Based on the employment rate at graduation (0.07) and three months after graduation (0.14)
- Selectivity in the selection of applicants (weighting: 0.25)
- Average scores in GMAT and GRE (Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning) (0.1625)
- Average GPA previously attained by undergraduate students (0.075)
- Admission rate: Percentage of applicants accepted (0.0125)
Based on this data, an overall ranking of the business schools is created. In order to break down the ranking list by individual indicators, you need access to the Business School Compass, which is subject to a fee.
Excerpt from the current Best Business Schools Ranking
The Top 10
- 1st place: Harvard University
- 2nd place: University of Chicago (Booth) and Stanford University
- 4th place: University of Pennsylvania (Wharton)
- 5th place: Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Sloan)
- 5th place: Northwestern University (Kellogg)
- 7th place: University of California Berkeley (Haas)
- 8th place: Dartmouth College (Tuck)
- 8th place: Yale University
- 10th place: Columbia University
Subrankings of the Best Business Schools Rankings
In addition to the ranking for full-time MBA programs, U. S. News and World Report also publishes other rankings as part of the Best Business Schools Rankings, albeit with different methodologies. Among other things, there is a ranking for the Executive MBA (EMBA) as well as for MBA programs that students complete part-time (part-time MBA). There are also various subject-specific rankings, such as those for management, marketing, accounting (accounting) or finance as well as rankings of the best online study programmes.
Other Rankings in the U. S. News and World Report Best Grade Schools Rankings
In addition to the ranking of business schools, the U. S. News and World Report Best Grade Schools Rankings also offer rankings for other subject areas in the postgraduate area. The methodology used varies from department to department in order to meet the relevant aspects of each department. These rankings also include partial rankings. In addition to business schools, the Best Degree Schools rankings also include the following subject areas:
- Engineering (Engineering)
- Medicine (Medicine)
- Law (Law)
- Pedagogy and Teacher Training (Education)
In addition, within the U. S. News and World Report Best Grade Schools Rankings there is an annual ranking of so-called Nursing Schools, to which nurses can take part in further training courses.
The U. S. News and World Report also publishes rankings for other subject areas, but not every year. Interested parties can view online rankings of the faculties Natural Sciences (Science), Art and Design (Fine Arts), Health (Health), Social Sciences and Humanities, Library and Information Studies and Public Affairs. These rankings are based on surveys.
Evaluation of the U. S. News and World Report Best Degree Schools Rankings
Since the various rankings are compiled on the basis of very different indicators, it is difficult to make a general evaluation of the methodology at this point.
In the case of the Best Business Schools Rankings, however, it can be said that with categories such as Success in Career Entry, the focus is on criteria that have practical relevance for students. Thus, a look at the ranking can be helpful for students who are interested in an MBA program in the USA. However, it is not advisable to select a higher education institution solely on the basis of university rankings. These can only serve as a guide.
The wide range of U. S. News and World Report Best Degree Schools Rankings is particularly positive. However, since a new ranking is not published annually for each department, the rankings are not always up-to-date for some departments. Another point of criticism is that some content is subject to a fee. Interested parties will not be able to read up on the results of the Best Grade Schools Rankings without further ado.
Website of the U. S. News and World Report Best Grade Schools Rankings:
- Student Language Courses in the USA - 26. Juni 2018
- Online degrees – the modern way of career advancement - 18. April 2018
- Choice of Higher Education Institution for Study Abroad - 19. Januar 2018